Obtain Citizenship in Malaysia
|Ways to obtain citizenship in Malaysia||Citizenship by naturalization after permanent residence for more than 10 years in Malaysia|
Documents for citizenship application in Malaysia
- application form C,
- valid ID,
- entry permit for Malaysia,
- documents for spouse and children,
- birth certificate
Knowledge of Malay language as a requirement (YES/NO)
|Age requirements for citizenship application||Over 21 years old|
|Living requirements in Malaysia (YES/NO)|| |
|Residence or direct citizenship option|| |
Based on a points system in Malaysia
|Direct immigration with family members|| |
Yes, spouses, children, parents, and grandparents are accepted into the program.
|Health insurance and other medical requirements|| |
A health insurance with validity in Malaysia is solicited, alongside a medical examination made in the country.
|Citizenship processing time (approx.)|| |
Around 3 months
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)||YES|
|Is citizenship in Malaysia application possible for minors?|| |
Yes, the parent or the guardian is in charge of the application, documents, and representation of the minor. One of the parents must be Malaysian.
|Dual citizenship permitted|| |
Malaysia does not accept dual citizenship.
|Reasons to choose Malaysia|| |
- great business opportunities,
- affordable costs of living,
- optimal choice for digital nomads
|Personal income tax rate|| |
It ranges between 24% and 30%, depending on the registered income in Malaysia.
|Visa-free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||Around 140|
How to get citizenship in Malaysia – Short steps to consider
- Foreigners living for at least 10 years in Malaysia can apply for citizenship.
- Proving knowledge of the Malay language is another important requirement for Malaysian citizenship application.
- In terms of documents, the personal identification document, birth certificates, entry permits, specific forms, and identity cards of Malaysian recommenders are solicited.
According to Malaysian Nationality Law, all persons born in Malaysia between 31 August 1957 - 1 October 1962 received citizenship by birth, no matter the origin of the parents. However, after this date, persons born in Malaysia must provide proof of Malaysian parents, particularly one of them.
You can discover information on this topic in the following infographic:
Obtaining citizenship by having a Malaysian parent
One should note that Malaysian citizens can vote in UK elections because Malaysia was a former British colony. Having a Malaysian passport, therefore, comes with varied benefits.
You might want to watch the following video presentation:
Is it hard to obtain citizenship in Malaysia?
Even though the citizenship application process is not complex, in some cases, the government might reject a few of them. Specific verifications are made in this sense, and candidates also need to demonstrate knowledge of the Malay language.
Getting permanent residence in Malaysia
- Having permanent residence in Malaysia means that there is no need for renewing the visa.
- Living in Malaysia for at least 5 years without interruptions is mandatory.
- Getting married to a Malaysian citizen grants permanent residency in Malaysia.
- Foreigners with permanent residence in Malaysia can start their own businesses in this country.
- There is no need for a work permit if permanent residence in Malaysia is granted.
Foreigners interested in obtaining permanent residence in Malaysia can get in touch with our Malaysian attorneys for legal advice. Also, extra details about how to get citizenship in Malaysia can be provided by our team. We are here to help you immigrate to Malaysia in 2023.
Short facts about immigration in Malaysia in 2023
- According to statistics for 2020, there are more than 3,48 million immigrants in the country.
- More than 32 million citizens are living in Malaysia.
- Malaysia represents around 0.42% of the total population of the world.