Obtain Citizenship in Malaysia
Updated on Saturday 12th June 2021
Rate this article 2 reviewsbased on
Foreigners interested in how to get citizenship in Malaysia should know in the first place that they need to give up the prior nationality because the country does not accept dual citizenship. Even so, many foreigners believe that Malaysia is the proper place for them, and decide to apply for citizenship. We present you a few important aspects that highlight how citizenship in Malaysia can be acquired, helped by one of our Malaysian lawyers.
How to get citizenship in Malaysia – Short steps to consider
If you decided to apply for citizenship in Malaysia, it is recommended to have a clear picture of the eligibility criteria that stand at the base of the entire process. First of all, only foreign citizens over 21 years of age can apply for citizenship in Malaysia. Other eligibility criteria need to be respected at the time citizenship application is made:
- Foreigners living for at least 10 years in Malaysia can apply for citizenship.
- Proving knowledge of the Malay language is another important requirement for Malaysian citizenship application.
- In terms of documents, the personal identification document, birth certificate, entry permit, specific forms, and identity cards of Malaysian recommenders are solicited.
The National Registration Office in Malaysia verifies and accepts the documents of foreigners applying for citizenship in this country. Instead of dealing on your own with the relevant formalities, you can discuss with our lawyers in Malaysia and discover the legal services tailored to your needs in this direction. This way you have the guarantee that the application is correctly made and there are no chances of rejection. Find out more about how to get citizenship in Malaysia from our specialists.
Obtaining citizenship by having a Malaysian parent
Even citizens born outside Malaysia and having a Malaysian parent can apply for citizenship. The requirements are simpler compared to the ones imposed on foreigners in Malaysia because the applicants are not restricted by having at least 21 years of age and should have only elementary knowledge of the Malay language.
If you find yourself in this situation, you can receive legal assistance from our law office in Malaysia. We have a dedicated team of experts with experience in this field who can offer legal assistance and representation for citizenship applications in Malaysia.
Is it hard to obtain citizenship in Malaysia?
Citizenship in Malaysia can be obtained relatively fast if all the conditions imposed are respected. However, applicants might be rejected if they fail to meet the language requirements. The legal support and guidance of a Malaysian lawyer will prove helpful for foreigners interested in this topic. Some legal aspects need to be completely understood at the time the application is prepared. More details about how to get citizenship in Malaysia can be discussed with our specialists.
Getting permanent residence in Malaysia
The permanent residence shows that you have the right to live in Malaysia for an indefinite period. It is important to note that this kind of residence permit is issued after living at least 5 years in Malaysia. There are other aspects related to permanent residency in Malaysia that you should pay attention to:
- Having permanent residence in Malaysia means that there is no need for renewing the visa.
- Living in Malaysia for at least 5 years without interruptions is mandatory.
- Getting married to a Malaysian citizen grants permanent residency in Malaysia.
- Foreigners with permanent residence in Malaysia can start their own business in this country.
- There is no need for a work permit if permanent residence in Malaysia is granted.
Foreigners interested in obtaining permanent residence in Malaysia can get in touch with our Malaysian attorneys for legal advice. Also, extra details about how to get citizenship in Malaysia can be provided by our team.
Short facts about immigration in Malaysia
Malaysia is one of the biggest economies in Asia and a great business destination for foreigners. In terms of immigration, many foreigners enjoy the advantages offered by Malaysia like a great healthcare system, education, and excellent standards of living. Here are some facts and figures about the immigration and the population of Malaysia:
- According to statistics of 2019, there are more than 3,43 million immigrants in the country.
- More than 32 million citizens are living in Malaysia.
- Malaysia represents around 0.42% of the total population of the world.
Interested in more aspects of citizenship in Malaysia? Feel free to contact our law firm in Malaysia and ask for legal advice.